Monday, May 23, 2011

Yep. BC isn't flat!

Hello hello, I am in Cranbrook. I am having a blast on my bike these days. Sorry I didn't post the last few days, I was just too busy cycling, or bush camping at night where there is no Internet.
I've had only big days so far, at least 115km, and some tough hills.
One just after Osoyoos, didn't remember this one was so long. The rest of that day was quite monotonous and long, but I still remember the explosion of good feelings when I rolled down in Grand Fork. This Valley was so bright and green.
The next day I had to go over Monzana pass and boy, that was the first high pass of my trip and I think I did OK. Got rained on on the way up. Once in Castlegar, I had to go up again to reach Salmo. The downhill from the top was the fastest ever. over 60km/h for 15km!
Then it was time for the highest pass of my whole trip ; Kootenay pass. I woke up in the beating rain and it really felt like it was not gonna stop. I almost called the day a rest day. almost. I finally rolled out of Salmo at 9, at least it wasn't cold. Once I hit the first uphill, it was raining twice as much, and it got sucked in. 7km/h for 3 hours got me to the top. Huge avalanche debris still everywhere. I was gringing up when I see a giant sign saying "watch for long horn sheeps" and just past the sign, a car was stopped and taking picture of something. I saw it going it the trees but didn't catch what it was. I my head, I think "hum, that must be one of this mountain goat". I waved the car, and ask. "It was a black bear. a big one. Be safe" and away they go. I remember the silence after the car was gone. I knew it was still on the side hiding away, uphill from me. Fortunately it didn't come out when I hurriedetely pedaled by. The night before, A guy who was camping next to me told me that a bear cruised by my tent at 10pm. I was sleeping then and didn't hear it.
The downhill from the pass wasn't great, wet, poor visibility, uneven pavement with pothole. Almost scary for the first 5km, it was so steep that I could barely stop.
Last night I found the pretiest campsite by the Moyie river, and tonight I will stay in the bush again, between here and Fernie. From now on, I'm only gonna be on road that I have never taken!
I am feeling strong and love every single bit of my trip so far. Alberta soon...after the last big pass, crow's nest pass.

Bye Bye








3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You've gone up and down Canada's highest paved highway! We did it in our motorcycles a few years back - a beautiful piece of pavement (on a motorbike anyways). Good for you David!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey David! Awesome to hear how it's going. Makes me want to cross BC on bike too! Climbed Snake with Bob the other day. Thought of you. Be safe - don't let the bears or the potholes get you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey DAve, good to hear from you! Be safe and post more pics when you can. Bisous!

    ReplyDelete