Wednesday, May 18, 2011

at the gate of Okanagan

Hello fellows,
Wednesday 6pm, I am in Princeton. I left Maple Ridge on tuesday (Thanks Andrew btw) and had a good day, tail wind, sun, couldn't ask for better. Just before I hit Hope, I see in the distance another bike loaded with panniers. I quickly catch up and we start to talk. You're going to NF? mee too! wait...didnt we met on the Queen Charlotte Island 3 years ago...of course! When I was on Aida Gwai with Richard and Brett, I talked to him and asked question about touring. Incredible! So we stick around for the rest of the day and find a beautiful camp just past the junction between highway 3 and the Coquihalla (it must be a red neck heaven, there was hundred of empty shells on the ground and every single piece of garbage left behind had bullet hole in it!).
It was nice comparing our gear and talking about our respective route. Garry is a veteran tourer with over 100 000 km under his belt. Good Luck and see you in Saint John's!
Today was a big day. 120km through Manning park, almost rained on, but not quite (I could see rain storm all around me).
A few thing I have to get off my mind : For the record, Marion bet with me that I won't be able not to drink alcohol through my trip. A bet is all I needed for motivation. If she loses, she shaves her hair, if I lose, I shave only the top of my head!
Len, I should have listen to you when you told me there was lots of snow in Manning park.  Indeed all the peaks around were blanketed with fresh. I woke up shivering, the good news is, shivering didn't kill me and cold preserve!
Now the bear story #2 (for #1, see next post). Here is the succession of events:
1. I am riding nicely on hilly ground
2. I smell something and I think "it could be a bear"
3. I tell myself that  it's my imagination playing tricks on me
4. I see the bearS at the base of the bank, just below me
5. My heart rate goes through the roof
6. The big bear looks at me
7. The 2 cobs also look at me
8. I smile and wink
9. I go up the next little bump like there is no tomorrow, get a good burn leg
10. end of the story
Thank you bears, you made me go a little faster

Ok I got a lot on my plate tonight, gotta find food, I've never felt so hungry.

Bye Bye


 More pics here
A video too

4 comments:

  1. Nice job Dave! Vancouver misses you man - take good care & keep winking at the bears :) Big hugs & hope you found a good honking meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep that camera at the ready. I'm pretty sure it is bear proof!

    ReplyDelete
  3. salut frérot,
    je vois que ton trip a bien commencé. La prochaine fois, demande aux ours de se poser en bas d'une grande côte, comme ça tu montera avec l'adrénaline sans t'en rendre compte!!! J'avoue que j'envie un peu ta LIBERTE... bonne route, et au plaisir de te lire. Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David! Thanks for the update...we'd wondered how far you've gone. Amazing that you met the other cyclist that you know - small world. Must admit, got a little weepy eyed when you left Granville Island. Looking forward to reading your updates! Safe travels, Deb

    ReplyDelete