Friday, July 1, 2011

All you can eat!

Hello amigos, I am in Montreal. I Got here after 3 wonderful days in the Laurentides, an area north east of here that boasts incredibly pretty landscape and villages. I got invited by Marc Andre, a friend of a friend, in Val David,  and we spent a agreeable evening chatting and eating good food. One feature of interest is the bicycle path that link Montreal and Mont Laurier. I took 90 km of it and was delighted to ride off the highway, through forest and along rivers. It is called "Le petit train du nord" because it use to be a railway, thus only has gentle grades, some of it is paved but most of it is groomed gravel. It is part of an impressive network of cycling path throughout Quebec called la route vert (http://www.routeverte.com).
I finally got in the the greater Montreal2 days ago. Everything got denser and denser as I was closing in, and for the last 40km I felt like I was entering the jungle, a debilitating mayhem of cars and people. I was sure happy to carry my handheld GPS to get me to the address of my next host, and I followed the indication on the screen for hours, crossed 2 bridges and countless freeways before I made it. Fran is the sister of Eric, a dear friend in Vancouver, and she kindly hosted me for one night in her detached house. Her 2 daughters were away that day, so I shared her table with her husband Josh and her son Isaac for a wonderful dinner. Upon hearing about my cinnamon bun quest, Isaac decided that he had a chance to make it on the highest step of the podium and made me some truly delicious confection from scratch. Now I know how to make them ha ha ha! I spent yesterday wandering in the streets with him, hiding in coffee shops during the occasional drizzle, climbing the hill to get to the top of  Mont Royal Park and discovering the delights that this city has to offer.


Today I am staying at a new host, Alefia, another couch surfer, and until sometimes this weekend.Always keen to discover the best local food, I eat as much as my stomach will allow me : I had 2 of the best smoke meat sandwich in the universe at Schwartz's, the best ice cream in town at Ripples, and of course a wide panoply of the famous Montreal style bagels at St-Viateur Bagel and Fairmont Bagel.
Gotta go, the weather is excellent today and I am getting hungry :-)
David











No comments:

Post a Comment